Replaced my interior lights with LEDS and now they won't turn off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not seeing any courtesy footwell lights in the 2002 sport. Are they supposed to be there?

The light fixtures may not be there but in the early KJ years the factory put most of the wiring and connectors for accessories - including the footwell lights. I found the connectors on my '03 Renegade but no fixtures for the bulbs.

Look up under the dash right below the steering column for a red and black wire with a small connector on the end. On the passenger side it will be right below the glove box. If you find the wires and connector you just need the fixture to hold the bulb and you're set with footwell lights.

Bob

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not seeing any courtesy footwell lights in the 2002 sport. Are they supposed to be there?

My 2002 limited has footwell lighting with fixtures and a little 1" plastic dome as a cover.

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just removed the under dash panels on the 2002 Sport. No fixtures or wiring on this one.

Corky

Reaction score
I just recently replaced my map lights and my dome light with leds instead of the traditional bulbs as I prefer the look of these new bulbs but for some reason they never fully turn off unless the car is off and locked for a few minutes. They go from full brightness when the door is opened and they dim to a glow almost when the doors are closed. Any ideas?!

Full brightness first picture and second is the dim
I realize that this thread is old, but it's very easy to find on Google. I had the same issue when I upgraded my wife's Liberty Sport to LED interior lights. I have read a lot of solutions including splicing into the bcm harness, wire in hidden sockets above the headliner, look for unused kick panel sockets, etc. Most of the solutions seemed rather dangerous. Anyway, I found a simple solution that requires very little wiring and doesn't require splicing into the harness anywhere or trying to find any wiring outside of the cargo light housing. I tried several LED bulbs and they all did the same thing... they stayed lit when they were supposed to turn off.

I found that a standard 44mm festoon socket (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X179K5G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) fits nicely beside the cargo socket and doesn't even require mounting, as it presses snugly into the void next to the socket in the housing. Simply solder a short wire on each end of your original bulb and crimp a female spade connector on the other end. Put the original bulb back in the original socket and press the festoon socket you purchased into the housing next to the housing socket. Then plug the wires into the new socket and install your LED bulb. The original bulb will light whenever you turn on the interior lights, but you will not see it from the driver's seat. The LED light overpowers the dim light and you won't notice it at all unless you look directly at the light. Everything works like normal and you don't have to worry about anything overheating. Best of all, the lights go out when you turn them off.
You must be registered for see images attach

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my overhead ones with reds and they ghost a little but with red its not a big deal. On my 1994 ****** I tried replacing the brake and tail lights and found they were actually goofing the PCM... Ended up going back because of several random CEL codes. I would like to swap the gage lights to red for less glare but haven't found a cross refference number.