Rust from the inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr. Pluh

Reaction score
Hello, i noticed some rust bubbles on the body panel next to the rear wheel (2006 KJ). They were likely caused by water seeping through from the other, probably rusted, side.
I sanded it down, applied wd40 and clearcoat. I also poked little holes through to spray some wd40 inside the panel.
You must be registered for see images attach

But i'd like to get my hand in there so that i can remove rust and apply a proper coating from the inside. Is there any way to do it? What do i need to remove?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, i noticed some rust bubbles on the body panel next to the rear wheel (2006 KJ). They were likely caused by water seeping through from the other, probably rusted, side.
I sanded it down, applied wd40 and clearcoat. I also poked little holes through to spray some wd40 inside the panel.
You must be registered for see images attach

But i'd like to get my hand in there so that i can remove rust and apply a proper coating from the inside. Is there any way to do it? What do i need to remove?
Fairly classic KJ rust, under the plastic trim it will probably be rotten, the mud builds up in there and holds damp and salt in, if you search on here you will see mine as I cut out and welded in fresh steel. The sill panel on these is structural so don't be tempted to put filler in, no chassis I'm afraid.

Dr. Pluh

Reaction score
Fairly classic KJ rust, under the plastic trim it will probably be rotten, the mud builds up in there and holds damp and salt in, if you search on here you will see mine as I cut out and welded in fresh steel. The sill panel on these is structural so don't be tempted to put filler in, no chassis I'm afraid.
The chassis and other parts, are all good. As well as this pictured spot on the other side (it's a car from italy). For some reason this is the only problematic area. I'm not going to cut it out, (i believe it causes more problems down the line) but i'll spray it with linseed oil from the inside, protect the outside and hope it lasts.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The chassis and other parts, are all good. As well as this pictured spot on the other side (it's a car from italy). For some reason this is the only problematic area. I'm not going to cut it out, (i believe it causes more problems down the line) but i'll spray it with linseed oil from the inside, protect the outside and hope it lasts.
I'd take that plastic trim off and check inside it, on mine once I'd repaired it I drilled a hole behind the plastic trim and sprayed cavity wax into the sill them plugged the hole with a grommet.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take that cover off the rocker, I'd say they have holes in them.

I washed my KJ OFTEN and never let salt sit on it, my rockers still have rust. If I had known it was an issue, I would have coated the inside of the rockers the day it rolled off the lot. The WJ's of that era suffer the same issue. Some say there was a bubble in that area when the bodies were dipped that kept the inside of the rockers from getting properly coated.

You can remove the fender liner and drill holes to get some coating inside of the cavity. Plug the holes to keep out water.