Stop Leak question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmw2rdr

Reaction score
I suspected I had a heater core leak in my 2004 Jeep Liberty due to inside of my windshield fogging on chilly mornings when I turned my heater on and a very slight antifreeze smell. Turning on the defroster made the problem worse until the engine got hot enough that the fan could blow "see through holes". So I bought a bottle of of Bars Stop Leak for radiators and heater core leaks and poured it in. "Then," I checked this forum and what seemed like a very logical solution seems like the stupidest thing I could have done. While the engine was still warm when I poured the bottle of stop leak in and then drove less than 10 miles. I have a new re-manufactured Jasper engine with about 30K miles on it. Has performed great! Now, after reading of the perils of using stop leak, I'm afraid to drive my Jeep due to clogging everything up. Should I flush the engine now, before driving it? What do you recommend I do before driving my Jeep again?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Not good at all. No quick fix here.
The leaky heater core is a big job & you don't want to breathe the misty coolant vapor. Make necessary leak repairs first. Don't drive it.
Once you have a new heater core installed, then find a shop with a pressurized coolant recycling machine to get new Hoat coolant installed correctly.

bmw2rdr

Reaction score
Not good at all. No quick fix here.
The leaky heater core is a big job & you don't want to breathe the misty coolant vapor. Make necessary leak repairs first. Don't drive it.
Once you have a new heater core installed, then find a shop with a pressurized coolant recycling machine to get new Hoat coolant installed correctly.
Thanks for your reply. Will fix it correctly!