Swapping in another 05 KJ 8.25 - has no VSS.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burntkat

Reaction score
Title says most of it.

I am swapping another axle into my 05 KJ Renegade (4x4, 3.73, LSD, 6spd) because the Trac-Loc has basically grenaded...

The plan was to get an open-diff equipped, 3.73 geared, 8.25 out of another 05 KJ. Found one in Santee, had it delivered to my son's shop. I have been getting a VSS code, and nasty noises, out of the rear axle. We were in it early this year and saw the spider gears had been sheering off. Plan was to step back to an open diff and then put an Aussie Locker in it.

All was going great, til I saw the axle has ABS sensors at each wheel, and no VSS. The boss at the top of the pumpkin appears to not have been drilled out.

Anyone run into this before?

burntkat

Reaction score
Initial research leads me to believe they sent me an 06 axle with 4-channel ABS. They have tone rings at each wheel in the backplate. The axle from salvage has this feature.
Apparently those sensors are used for VSS and ABS. The tone rings on the axle appear to be 48-tooth (but I have not confirmed via count of hard parts in the axle, will do so tomorrow).

Next step is to figure out the count on the 05 tone ring (inside the diff, between the ring gear and carrier). If I get lucky enough that it's easily divisible by 48, I should be able to work some arduino magic and come up with an adapter circuit... Or buy something similar.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about swapping the tone ring from your older diff, and drilling out the sensor hole (and install sensor)?

burntkat

Reaction score
How about swapping the tone ring from your older diff, and drilling out the sensor hole (and install sensor)?
For that trouble, I might as well have just put an open diff in this housing under my vehicle already. I was trying to do it cheap and fast. Silly me expecting the yard to send me what I asked for.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
05 is a split year for production; April 18/19, so it's not terribly surprising.

A carrier swap is fairly forgiving on these diffs because of the screw adjusters. I'm not the biggest fan of trac-loks (poor experiences in Dana 60 and Ford 10.25") but I haven't been able to find a KJ without one, all were grippy and none broken.

burntkat

Reaction score
I can send you pics of mine... There were literal shards of spider gears in the bottom of the housing. I verified they were spider gears by looking at same.
Regardless, LSD has always been a poor choice in a vehicle that will see dirt.

Turns out, this is merely a delay and a waste of the OSPHO I sprayed on the axle. I called them up this morning and spoke with the guy up there. Turns out he's a Keeper as well and has been building them for a good long time. We got along well. He found another 3.73 diff in the yard, WITH VSS, and is having it ripped out now. I should have it Monday.

Now hopefully this thing keeps together for anothet week. It is making some SERIOUSLY not happy-making sounds....