That'll do Jeep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always thought the Liberty got more hate than it should, and its certainly more of a Jeep than anything they make now days (besides the wrangler). This Jeep was bought new and has been in my family since. Only I have serviced the Jeep right down to the first engine oil change. No one else, besides a useless recall, has worked on this Jeep. If I knew what I knew now, I wouldn't have let the dealer work on it at all since they broke a bunch of tabs on the interior gate cover.

Anyway, just wanted to say this little Jeep has never let me down. I just pulled a 3,000lb camper (loaded) 5hrs to the Smokies without a single hiccup. I think this is the fifth time making this trip and I'm not sure how many more times, if any, this Jeep will make that trip since its just getting old. I do keep a set of Mopar sensors (cam/crank/tps), a Mopar coil, and a Mopar fuel pump with me, but I certainly don't want to try to change a fuel pump on the side of the interstate... The Jeep turned over 123,000 miles on this trip and does a lot of sitting now a days.

Just paid the yearly registration today... $43...

You must be registered for see images attach

Country2003KJ

Reaction score
I've always thought the Liberty got more hate than it should, and its certainly more of a Jeep than anything they make now days (besides the wrangler). This Jeep was bought new and has been in my family since. Only I have serviced the Jeep right down to the first engine oil change. No one else, besides a useless recall, has worked on this Jeep. If I knew what I knew now, I wouldn't have let the dealer work on it at all since they broke a bunch of tabs on the interior gate cover.

Anyway, just wanted to say this little Jeep has never let me down. I just pulled a 3,000lb camper (loaded) 5hrs to the Smokies without a single hiccup. I think this is the fifth time making this trip and I'm not sure how many more times, if any, this Jeep will make that trip since its just getting old. I do keep a set of Mopar sensors (cam/crank/tps), a Mopar coil, and a Mopar fuel pump with me, but I certainly don't want to try to change a fuel pump on the side of the interstate... The Jeep turned over 123,000 miles on this trip and does a lot of sitting now a days.

Just paid the yearly registration today... $43...

What ****** do you have? How is your hitch connected to the trailer? Does it have an extender or does the trailer tongue tuck underneath the spare tire for easy fit?

I have a 2003 with 114000 miles in excellent condition with the 45RFE ******. I got it used in Nov 2020 with 94000 miles on it with absolutely nothing majorly wrong. I ave. about 5000 hwy miles per year.

One thing I would like to do is put a spare fuel can on the spare tire bracket and put the spare tire on the roof. Then use the tow point for extra gear or tow a small trailer like you have shown. Have you ever put a gas can on your spare tire bracket?

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can Open a port for the fuel pump assembly. You only need to lay down one side, insert a cardboard between tank and the floor and then cut carefully along the mark below the carpet until you see the cardboard.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What ****** do you have? How is your hitch connected to the trailer? Does it have an extender or does the trailer tongue tuck underneath the spare tire for easy fit?

I have a 2003 with 114000 miles in excellent condition with the 45RFE ******. I got it used in Nov 2020 with 94000 miles on it with absolutely nothing majorly wrong. I ave. about 5000 hwy miles per year.

One thing I would like to do is put a spare fuel can on the spare tire bracket and put the spare tire on the roof. Then use the tow point for extra gear or tow a small trailer like you have shown. Have you ever put a gas can on your spare tire bracket?

It has the Mopar recall hitch and a 4" drop Curt ball mount. It is a bit longer at 10.25" center hole to center hole.

You can Open a port for the fuel pump assembly. You only need to lay down one side, insert a cardboard between tank and the floor and then cut carefully along the mark below the carpet until you see the cardboard.

Im not interested in cutting a hole in the cargo area. Some Libertys had an access panel from the factory, but they removed it on the 2004 Libertys.

Country2003KJ

Reaction score
Ah! Okay! I have a 2003 Limited and the hole to hole center is about 7" and the ball has a 2" drop. I did not know there was a recall at some point. I can only assume this one may have been ordered or the previous owner may have opted for the shorter hitch and drop. Thx for the info.

trailpack

Reaction score
nice setup with the camper. ever take it offroad or mainly stick to highways?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah! Okay! I have a 2003 Limited and the hole to hole center is about 7" and the ball has a 2" drop. I did not know there was a recall at some point. I can only assume this one may have been ordered or the previous owner may have opted for the shorter hitch and drop. Thx for the info.
You can but the Curt ball mount like I have on ebay. It helps having it extended out a bit more but it will make the rear end squat a bit more. I have air bags, so its not an issue. I also pulled the Jeep with the camper on the Cat scales, Im right at the rear axle max weight..

The recall was to add a hitch if the Jeep didnt have one. Evidently the gas tank can rupture if you are rear ended hard enough.
nice setup with the camper. ever take it offroad or mainly stick to highways?
There use to be a big group of us over on LostKJ's site that met up and took them offroading. That was many years ago and I would say very few if any still have their Libertys. It was good times. Been awhile since Ive had it offroad after that. All of the trails we went on have been closed due to the tree huggers...

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has been pulling logs out of the wood today after a run to dump rubble, drags a ton of wood off road without much trouble.

Jeeper-Creeper

Reaction score
$43.00 for registration? I gota get the hell out of California.
I love the set-up. 123,000 and well maintained I feel you have nothing to worry about. Everyone in my family owns a liberty. My parents were the first and bought it in 05 to tote behind their motorhome. Absolutely the perfect vehicle for that. They now have 370,000 and still runs strong.