Air Intake Resonator Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tigerKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had some cooling system repairs done to my KJ and everything seemed fine. When I looked over the engine compartment a few days later I noticed that there was tube that stuck out of the resonator on the passenger side (at least that is what I think it is called - it has Power Tech 3.7L V6 written on it and it connects to the throttle body) with nothing connected to it.

I had looked at a cold air intake kit instructions and noticed that there should be some hose connected.

Can anyone tell where the hose is supposed to connect and what issues that could cause with it not connected? I think the shop did not finish putting everything back together.

Thanks!

tigerKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I don't have pictures yet, but it is a 2002 Liberty Renegade with the 3.7L V6. I'll get pictures later today.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I don't have pictures yet, but it is a 2002 Liberty Renegade with the 3.7L V6. I'll get pictures later today.

If it what I think it is it's a breather hose that runs from the resonator to the head and attaches behind the valve cover.

tigerKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the pictures of what I am talking about. The first one shows the resonator and I circled the tube going into the resonator:

You must be registered for see images attach

And here is a closer look:
You must be registered for see images attach

Does anyone know what is supposed to connect to the tube and where it goes?

Thanks!

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only 02's and 03's have a resonator so yes it's different than an 04. I'm very familiar with it I replaced my 03's intake with one from an 04

tigerKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help. OK, so as I understand it a breather tube from behind the valve cover on the passenger side hooks to the tube on the resonator.

John3seventeen: So I can replace the resonator with the air intake parts from an '04? Does it have the tubes for the breather on the passenger side and the hose that attaches on the driver side, or did you have to re-route/connect them some place else?

Thanks!

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help. OK, so as I understand it a breather tube from behind the valve cover on the passenger side hooks to the tube on the resonator.

John3seventeen: So I can replace the resonator with the air intake parts from an '04? Does it have the tubes for the breather on the passenger side and the hose that attaches on the driver side, or did you have to re-route/connect them some place else?

Thanks!

You can get new breather tubes for about $11. No need to switch the whole intake for that. It doesn't have the connections for the tubes and a little fabrication has to be done.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Air flow pressure/reducer & I also think it is a one way, wonder if it has an arrow on it?

tigerKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
John3seventeen: Thanks, the part number helps!

I'll plug up the tube (so dirt does not get in) for now. When I can get the correct part I'll put it in (hopefully this weekend).