Another broken horn - clockspring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheJeepsterSF

Reaction score
Another day another broken horn on a Jeep KJ (2007 2.8 CRD). Pressing the horn switch does nothing. No clicking on the relay and no sound of the horn.

I’ve tried to narrow the issue:

- Checked resistance on the horn switch. 0 resistance when clicking the switch. So the seems to work.

- Checked the relay -> the relay works as it should when swapping it with the high beam relay. Clicks normally and high beams are working. It measures 72 Ohm resistance between the 2 outer ports.

- Checked the 15A fuse on the interior port 1 -> 0 resistance on it

- Checked the horns -> they work when the alarm is on and putting 12V on them makes them sound.

Since the relay is not clicking, my assumption is that the problem needs to be between horn switch and relay. Looking at the wiring diagram:

You must be registered for see images attach

There’s only the clockspring in between. My assumption is now the clockspring itself (which would be weird, cruise control works fine and I have no airbag light) or some wiring in between.

I’ve checked the wiring visually and it’s all OK but wanted to confirm with you all before I continue what the best next steps would be?

Anyone had something like this before?

Would appreciate any help - thank you! I’ve tried to read up as much as I can online and the service manual but I’m running out of ideas.

lfhoward

Wheel. Repair. Repeat.
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my clock spring went out I had an airbag light but the horn always worked. I guess not all the wires in there break at the same time. So it is feasible that your clock spring could be going even though you still have cruise and the airbag light is off so far.

Replacing the clock spring is an easy DIY job. There are good YouTube vids on this— It is the same in the Wrangler as on the Liberty. Be sure to get a Mopar unit if you can.

TheJeepsterSF

Reaction score
Thank you, that could definitely be the case. Is there a way to confirm it’s that? I could tap into the cable after the clockspring and measure resistance between the connector and the horn switch I guess.

I’ll be on the lookout for a new one as well, it’s a bit hard here in Europe so might have to go with a used one or even try repairing mine if it’s really broken.