Berrymans B-12 Chemtool fuel injector cleaner- destroyed engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Jot

Reaction score
2004 Jeep Liberty 6 cyl. It has been running fine aside from an oxygen sensor being out, which a mechanic had told me not to worry about. It has about 90,000 miles on it.

After watching many Youtube videos on fuel additives/injector cleaners this week, I thought well maybe its time. Many different sites discussed Berrymans B12 cleaner, its at Wal-Mart for just $6 a can. Some swore by it and said theyve been adding it to their fuel for decades.
I thought well why not what is there to lose?
I guess I'm finding out :(

The day after dumping a can in my gas tank and topping it off at the gas station, I started the engine, and in short order the Check Engine light started blinking. It comes and goes, runs like that about 5 minutes and when it does there is a definite drop in engine performance. Enough to have me seriously worried. This happened 3 times while driving the car today. Then it stops blinking, and it runs OK but the engine light stays on.
I have never seen this happen before and I've owned the car for about 3 years now. The light was on, but my understanding was it was the oxygen sensor, and I had no problems driving.
It just seems an awful coincidence that this is just one day after I emptied a whole can of the Berrymans B12 in and then topped off the fuel tank yesterday. I'm not accusing the product by any means, but its all I have to go on at this point.
Honestly with this long list of codes its seems a miracle it runs at all! If anybody has seen anything like this, please let me know how screwed I am. I read the directions 8 times, it said empty the entire can in your gas tank, then fill the tank. Thats exactly what I did.
Coincidence? Heck if I know.

Anyway these are my codes. I have 28 :( :(
1/28 SRS $5B 2 Occupant Classification Undetermined
2/28 SRS $5B 9 Current Vehicle Identification Number Missing / Mismatch
3/28 TCM$18 P0123 Throttle / Pedal Position Sensor High
4/28 TCM$10 P0706 Bad Transmission Range
5/28 ECM$10 P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshhold Bank 2 STORED
6/28 ECM$10 P0157 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2 STORED
7/28 ECM$10 P0158 Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2 STORED
8/28 ECM$10 P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshhold Bank 2 STORED
9/28 ECM$10 P0157 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2 STORED
10/28 ECM$10 P0158 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2 STORED
11/28 ECM$10 P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshhold Bank 1 TEMP
12/28 ECM$10 P0441 Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow TEMP
13/18 ECM$10 P0300 Random- Multiple Misfire Detected TEMP
14/28 ECM$10 P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshhold Bank 2 TEMP
15/28 ECM$10 P0157 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2 TEMP
16/28 ECM$10 P0158 Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2 TEMP
17/28 MOD$10 P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshhold Bank 1 CONFIRMED
18/28 MOD$10 P0441 Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow CONFIRMED
19/28 MOD$10 P0300 Random - Multiple Misfire Detected CONFIRMED
20/28 MOD$10 P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshhold Bank 2 CONFIRMED
21/28 MOD$10 P0157 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2 CONFIRMED
22/28 MOD$10 P0158 Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2 CONFIRMED
23/28 MOD$10 P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshhold Bank 1 PENDING
24/28 MOD$10 P0441 Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow PENDING
25/28 MOD$10 P0300 Random - Multiple Misfire Detected PENDING
26/28 MOD$10 P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshhold Bank 2 PENDING
27/28 MOD$10 P0157 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2 PENDING
28/28 MOD$10 P0158 Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2 PENDING

Jeff Jot

Reaction score
Well so does anyone recognize any of these codes and know if its OK to drive, or serious damage will happen?
Should I get an oil change?
Transmission service?
Or would they make no difference in this case.
Have you used Berrymans before, and had something similar happen?
It seems the fuel additive is definitely causing problems. How could all this possibly start just right after adding it

ShowMe Cherokee

Reaction score
My guess is that the Berryman's worked too well. It broke loose a bunch of gunk that was in your cylinders and that clogged your O2 sensors and maybe you cats. So that is why it is running like crap, because the computer can't get correct oxygen data and is trying to fix things. You can pull your O2 sensors and try to clean them (see youtube for details) or you can just replace them. The EVAP code is probably similar if the valve sucked a bunch of gunk into it. With clean O2 sensors, many of your problems should clear up. It is the place to start anyway.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used that product plenty of times, about yearly. In fact I had it clear a misfire code that has not returned in years, was probably a dirty fuel injector. I agree with the above. If engine was dirty and computer had adjusted for it and now all that filth is breaking loose clogging this and that and fouling sensors it probably means it's working too well. Any damage is likely done at this point. Keep driving it, do a couple short Italian tuneups (floor it and let it high rev down the highway). Good luck, hope it works out

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking from experience and looking at your codes my guess would be your purge valve is probably sticking open - when you fill the tank the vacuum in the purge valve line will suck gas up from the tank and into the engine causing a rich misfire as it is unmetered fuel going into the engine. If you drive it for a bit and get the fuel level in the tank down to 3/4 or less my guess is the misfire will go away. I would be hard pressed to think a bottle of fuel conditioner mixed in with 15 gallons of fuel is going make your truck run rough.

Quick test to confirm would be to disconnect and cap off the vacuum line to the purge valve and see if it runs any better.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
My guess is that the Berryman's worked too well. It broke loose a bunch of gunk that was in your cylinders and that clogged your O2 sensors and maybe you cats. So that is why it is running like crap, because the computer can't get correct oxygen data and is trying to fix things. You can pull your O2 sensors and try to clean them (see youtube for details) or you can just replace them. The EVAP code is probably similar if the valve sucked a bunch of gunk into it. With clean O2 sensors, many of your problems should clear up. It is the place to start anyway.
Yep. Barryman's is hard cor e stuff.