Lights, radio, wipers, power windows and locks work but Jeep doesn't turn over.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jack roykirk

Reaction score
Hey, folks. I have a new problem. I went to town today and made a stop at Lowe's. My Jeep started just fine when leaving there. I then went to the grocery store and when I came out, my Jeep wouldn't start. When I turn the key, everything works. It just isn't cranking over. I get nothing. I just replaced the ignition switch last year. I also replaced the starter last year. I'm at a loss as to what happened between going into the store and coming out. There isn't any click one gets when the battery is run down. I just turn the key and nothing at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my Jeep is currently stuck at the grocery store.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try checking the starter relay and fuse. If you search here for ‘starter relay’ you’ll find a number of threads with info on this topic.

jack roykirk

Reaction score
Try checking the starter relay and fuse. If you search here for ‘starter relay’ you’ll find a number of threads with info on this topic.
Hey, KLC, thanks for the reply and the heads up. I sure hope that's all it is.

Reactions: klc

jack roykirk

Reaction score
Hey, KLC, I tried switching the relays around and that didn't work. I then bypassed the relay and I got it started but I had to finagle the jumper wire a bit before it started turning over. I then shut it off and put the relay back in and it started again. I shut it off once more and it didn't start.

I have someone who is going with me to pick it up because I'm reasonably sure I can get it started again and get it home. I'm assuming it has something to do with the power between the ignition and the relay but I won't know until I get under the dash.

Thanks , again for your assistance and I'll update you on my progress. It can't possibly be as difficult as it was to replace the heater core when I did it last year. That's one nightmare I will never forget.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, at least the starter isn’t dead.

jack roykirk

Reaction score
Well, at least the starter isn’t dead.
I may have finally resolved my issues but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. The day before yesterday I got it home. I disconnected the battery cables overnight and the next day after reconnecting them I tried it. It wouldn't start. So I crawled under it and gave the starter a few taps with a hammer and voilà, it started five times in a row then wouldn't start again. Since the starter was less than a year old, in my mind I thought it just couldn't be the problem but it appeared I was wrong.

Just out of curiosity, I pulled the key cylinder to check the actuator and the ignition switch to see if perhaps one of those were also part of the issue. Both parts appeared to be fine. I had replaced the actuator about a year and a half ago. I knew I had power from there because I had been able to get it started intermittently but I decided to be safe rather than sorry.

Anyway, I pulled the drive shaft and the starter. I remember when I installed it what a pain in the **** it was because and at the time I was so happy that I would likely never have to do it again. Ha ha, silly me. I tested the starter and sure enough, the gear shaft didn't pop out or turn and the starter just hummed. Yup, the starter had failed. Fortunately, the starter was under warranty but that didn't make the task any easier. The guy at the parts store gave me a full new warranty, as well he should.

After I installed the new starter and before I put the drive shaft back in I turned the key and it started right up so I reinstalled the drive shaft thinking I had everything in order. I then started it again and took it for a drive. When I got back, I shut it off. I had parked it on the lawn so I could pick up the tools and clean up a bit. When I went to start it again, it wouldn't start. By then, I had enough for the day so I cleaned up a bit. Then I disconnected the battery over night and it still wouldn't crank after reconnecting it this morning. I pulled the relay again and bypassed it and it cranked so I swapped the relay with another relay and it started right up. I have started it several times since. Call me paranoid as I'm still a bit wary of taking it anywhere and shutting it off but I'm going to replace some of the relays just to be on the safe side. What's weird is the relay I pulled was the one for the wiper speed regulator and it still works with the starter relay in it's place.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on this. That, with a few Youtube videos helped me resolve the issues... hopefully.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoops!