losing the faith

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sirswank

Reaction score
hey guys, im new. first post. i need inspiration. i'm a car enthusiast, and am involved with the two brands that have the largest following of true believers. volkswagens and jeeps. the previous owner of an xj, my current jeep is an 02 libby. 4x4, 3.7, auto. y'know. i don't have any place to go off-roading, and she's the family vehicle, so trashing her in the woods isn't an option if i could. therfore, she's a highway commuter and around town type girl. to that end, i've gone and put 20's on her, which puts me in the super minority, but it's a clean look. she's white, debadged, clear turn signals, chrome accents on the grille and the polished centerlines really set it off. im runing 275-45-20 tires. slight rubbing when i turn, but thats due to the width, and the stupid body seam DC put in the wheel well. i'm not gonna complain about gas mileage, because i know my problem is in the meats im rolling on. i can deal with poor highway mileage, and may end up selling the big wheels for 16's on which i can mount the stock tires so my wife can drive around town. (if anyone is interested, pm me)

my worry is that all sorts of nasty little things are starting to come up. my rear flass strut pin (the thing that hold the gas strut) broke off. so i need a whole new back window. and the auto seems to be acting up. i have no under-hood mods done, and am loath to chip, intake, exhaust TB spacer her for better highway driving, so the thought has come up to sell.
the biggest problem is the ******. are they all supposed to shift hard and slow? i swear, if i need to pass someone, i can floor it, make a sandwich and read a book before it downshifts, and then it's from 4th to 2nd and i redline the motor. it's come down to me driving with the OD off almost all the time. i know the ol' girl (only 75000 miles on her tho) is geared for off road, so are there options for a more highway friendly gear ratio? what about swapping in a stick? these are such expensive options, i don't really feel like persuing them. are there chips to change the computer's control over the ******, making it more resopnsive and shift better? i really like this truck, and hate to get rid of the newest car i've ever owned, but driving her shouldn't be a chore i have to face for over an hour each day. HELP!!!

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
possibly one of the most complained things about the libby, the horrid shifting points. I've learned to live w/ it, and even kinda manipulate it, tho it is a pain in the ass at times. just be greatful you have the Ram ******, instead of the modified Mini-van ******....

Welcome aboard btw...

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a big heavy truck. The liberty has a smaller engine and a few hundred more lbs than the XJ did. And like somebody mentioned, the automatic transmission shift points suck.

I have the manual, and it has great pickup. I don't know if swapping in a manual transmission is cost-effective, but I would definitely suggest buying one. The 6-speed is fantastic!

I would LOVE to see a photo of that truck, it sounds like it'll look great with those wide tires and 20" rims. I wonder what it would look lifted with 24s.....

sirswank

Reaction score
i duno about lifted with 24's. might be too wide 8-[

here she is, as requested. sitting "prelowered" styles. wheels probably wouldn't have fit if it was "lowered". these are the trnative "for sale" pics. doesn't hurt to see if there is any interest.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

i don't know if you can tell but in the last pic, i colormatched the shift bezel to the rest of the trim. and put in a new stereo. i have a powered bazooka tube providing thump.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's very hard to convince someone, as I was at the same spot many times before. Once when I was having the grinding scream of sway bar bushings, and once again during the gear gaps (or lash as few other mentioned) in the transmission.. But I still love my liberty, and after driving around in an old Grand Cherokee, two different benz ML 350s and plymouth voyager, I cannot believe how much control I have over my liberty. It is a solid one that drives WITH the driver, unlike the other SUVs out there that driver has almost no sudden control over vehicle. Gas and Brakes are very responsive and the steering is one of the best in this class.

Slap it into 4lo, drive over a few logs and concrete sidewalks, at the same time (on your way back) drop it into 2wd spin the rear wheels while in 2x4 during a sharp turn, hopefully it will bring the sense back to you and let you ignore why 4500 lbs truck is not picking up so easily during warm weathers. (I noticed that in cold weather trasnmission down shifts quickly and roars, causing throttle)

Good luck.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not only the way it works, it is also the way it is designed.

To reduce the (excessive) wear and tear of this heavy vehicle, we will have problems with Auto transmission..

I don't know if it would have made any difference if Liberty had V8 (whistle)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It's not necessarily just the Liberty.

*EVERY* Chrysler 4 Speed Automatic that I've driven has weird shift points / slips / just overall feels weird driving.

SavageSS27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that there's a shift kit out for our tanny that's supposed to make things much nicer, do a search on lostkjs.com about it and you should be able to find a link.

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if swapping in a manual transmission is cost-effective, but I would definitely suggest buying one.
Didn't know it was even possible...would love to switch to a 6 spd manual, if the price wasn't outrageous.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boilermaker said:
I don't know if swapping in a manual transmission is cost-effective, but I would definitely suggest buying one.
Didn't know it was even possible...would love to switch to a 6 spd manual, if the price wasn't outrageous.

Swapping a transmission is a big undertaking, it's one of those things typically reserved for restored classic cars or cars that only come in auto. It's probably much cheaper to sell one and buy the other. The 6-speed manual is less expensive than the automatic (by about $700 MSRP), but good luck finding one. I had to special order mine, but it was SO worth it.

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was talked out of a manual by my dad (right now as my right arm sits in a soft cast, can't argue with his logic). At first i wasn't happy with my bone stock kj, but i found half the fun of owning one is all the things that can be done to and then with it. After all i've put into my kj at this point, i couldn't trade it even for another kj. Maybe if my transmisson goes someday, it might make it a less crazy idea.

Latest posts