Mopar Cold Air Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJKev

Reaction score
I too looked at a cold air intake...once.

But after reading various articles and even speaking to a guy who builds off road race trucks, I decided I was better off spending the $200 for something else.

First off, the air isn't in the tube long enough to cool down. So why do it?

He also told me that most off road racers use stock air filters. Not a K&N or Fram. The reason those filters add extra hp is because they don't filter as well as stock types do. Less filtration, more air, better hp.

Race cars don't use stock air boxes because they're not stock engines.

So I guess you need to decide what you like most. Dirty air, nice sound, a bit more mpg. Or filtered air going into your intake.

For me, the decision was simple. I went with the cleaner air.
KJKev

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I too looked at a cold air intake...once.

#1. But after reading various articles and even speaking to a guy who builds off road race trucks, I decided I was better off spending the $200 for something else.

#2. First off, the air isn't in the tube long enough to cool down. So why do it?

#3. He also told me that most off road racers use stock air filters. Not a K&N or Fram. The reason those filters add extra hp is because they don't filter as well as stock types do. Less filtration, more air, better hp.

#4. Race cars don't use stock air boxes because they're not stock engines.

So I guess you need to decide what you like most. Dirty air, nice sound, a bit more mpg. Or filtered air going into your intake. or somebody who doesn't know what they are talking about like me.

For me, the decision was simple. I went with the cleaner air.
KJKev

#1. What is this fellows name?
#2. It is not about the tubing!
#3. Here is a simple answer for the above statement: *********!
I race off road! I and many other friends and fellow competitors use K&N, AEM, and several other like minded products.
#4. What class/group are you refering too?

Really now...

Cheers
Ryan

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
posting random reply because im blocked again from posting anything meaningful

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
this has gotten to be really funny to read through, from those that think they know to ones that do but ...oh well I am actually getting better mileage now than I did with the K&N setup I had, to me more MPGs = more $$$$$$ in my pocket and it runs just as good.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After examing the factory setup, I could not discern any advantage other than replacing the filter with a K&N,$38.The air inlet is a direct shot to the airbox, no restrictions or places under the hood that might retain heat. That and a 2 1/2" magnaflow catback chopped my zero to sixty time from 8.8 to 8.2, getting ready to change oil for the first time to 0-20 Mobil1, figure that should be good for another HP or two.Been getting close to 20mpg in town driving with a feather foot, not really my style but with gas at $2.70 a gallon, have to do my part.My prior vehicle was a Corvette C5 that got 18 in town and 25 on the road on premium.
thats exactly what i did. i took out the airbox and put it on the end of the intake, sounds way better and i did notice a slight power increase.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I still run the stock air cleaner and air box set up as well. We get 23-25 miles per gallon on the freeway. But we drive like old people and that's the secret!
Money permitting, I'll start with a drop in K&N filter element and then when other mods have been achived, I will go for the full CAI system.

Members online