Mysterious coolant leak....????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NotMyRenegade

Reaction score
Hello again.....back with another mystery....I checked other posts to see if someone else has experienced this problem but never found any.....maybe because of my ADD...LOL...so I apologize if it has been discussed already.

The Mystery....lately my partner has had a coolant leak....doesn't leak when the engine is hot or warm...I have checked that. When she gets home from work I keep a close eye on things...no leak. Get up in the morning...it leaked....fill it with coolant...drive all day...no leaks....come home....no leaks....next morning....it leaked. Now.....day 3 same routine and the next morning no leak???? So we put our heads together and came to the conclusion the two days it leaked the temperature dropped to -1 , -2 degrees and day three the temp was 10 degrees overnight. The leak is not coming from the water pump. I can see the coolant is dripping from the hole in the middle of the engine guard (plate) but I can't find where it is coming from. I am wondering if it is from the timing cover and I'm dealing with expand and contract of the gasket due to the temperature? At first I thought it was a faulty frost plug but that would leak all the time. Has anyone had this happen to them and what was the diagnosis....Don't want to have to take it to a garage cause she doesn't trust them . I guess if I have to I can take the ..rock guard??? off and might be able to have a better perspective of the situation but I thought Hey maybe someone here knows what's goin on and save me the trouble. One more thing...is it just me or is this engine design flawed because of this style timing cover. Its a head scratcher for me .