Replaced my interior lights with LEDS and now they won't turn off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

godfishnkicks

Reaction score
I just recently replaced my map lights and my dome light with leds instead of the traditional bulbs as I prefer the look of these new bulbs but for some reason they never fully turn off unless the car is off and locked for a few minutes. They go from full brightness when the door is opened and they dim to a glow almost when the doors are closed. Any ideas?!

Full brightness first picture and second is the dim

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421040145727.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421040145727.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 23
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421040182791.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421040182791.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 22

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mm.... do you still have your old filament bulb that you can make sure the problem is w/ the LEDs?

If not, it could be your multifunction switch that is kaput.

godfishnkicks

Reaction score
Yeah when I put in the old bulbs it works fine but I don't think the problem is with the leds, what I think it may be is that since they pull less power than the old bulbs that there isn't enough resistance in the system to stop the little bit of power it takes to light them up from slipping through.

GokuH12

Reaction score
This Happened to me too, my solution was to put the old bulb behind the conection with a wire and well hiden (So it wont see when it turns on). This "fixed" the problem :)

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either tie in the old bulb or tie in a load resistor. LEDs take such a small amount of current that when there is ambient current on the circuit they light up a bit. :) I just deal with the ambient lighting.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either tie in the old bulb or tie in a load resistor. LEDs take such a small amount of current that when there is ambient current on the circuit they light up a bit. :) I just deal with the ambient lighting.

Listen to dude1116...

The BCM assumes there is no load on the circuit since the LED's pull so little current. The solution is to keep an incandescent bulb in the circuit somewhere either by wiring in a connector inline with one of the bulbs and inserting the old-style bulb, or just keeping an incandescent bulb in one of the existing fixtures.

I found an interior light connector at AutoZone or someplace like that which holds an incandescent bulb. I spliced it into the circuit for the courtesy lights under the dash and then put an old bulb in it. And the old bulb is burnt out so it doesn't even light - but because it provides sufficient resistance it tells the BCM to fully cut off power to the interior lighting circuit so my LED's go completely off.

Let us know if you have questions ;)

Bob

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah when I put in the old bulbs it works fine but I don't think the problem is with the leds, what I think it may be is that since they pull less power than the old bulbs that there isn't enough resistance in the system to stop the little bit of power it takes to light them up from slipping through.
Exactly right

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the happen so I left the LED bulb in on the left side and the incandescent on the right side, Does not look fantastic but get a lot of light on the side I need, Didn't have any issues with LED for the under dash lights that illuminate your feet though.

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed leds today and have the same issue. The leds are way brighter then the incans so I wanna keep them in. I'm gonna use one of the earlier suggestions to make them go completely out while driving cuz even at that dim level they are still kind of distracting at night.

Not exactly sure what causes this in the KJ because My 2011 Edge is fine with all interior Leds.

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed leds in the 2002 today and have this same issue. The leds are way brighter then the incans so I wanna keep them. Even at the dim level they are a little distracting at night so I'm gonna use one of the suggested methods above to make them go out completely. Not sure what causes this in the KJ . I switched to all interior leds in my 2011 Edge and they work just fine.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the rear light or one of the foot lights as an incandescent the little glow doesnt bother me at all leave it a few weeks see if it still bothers you. I was just worried they would stay on once the jeep is off but they shut off after 30seconds after doors are locked. Another option is to wire a resistor inline with the LED.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be very careful about placement of a "hidden" wired in incandescent. Those things get HOT!!

Bob

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be very careful about placement of a "hidden" wired in incandescent. Those things get HOT!!

Bob

I wouldnt suggest that either i would just have one of the less visible lights be incandescent. I would be worried it would heat up a wire that go too close. Three options in my mind 1 deal with the gohst light its not that bright 2 add a load resistor 3 change one led for an incandescent. I am sure there are other options but i wouldnt attempt them.

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far I just put the incan back in the rear dome and now the slight glow of the front dome leds is not bad at all.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can try throwing incans in the factory courtesy light spots. I think those are first in the circuit. Reason i think that is because I replaced these with LEDs first and they ghosted, while the others were incans.

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not seeing any courtesy footwell lights in the 2002 sport. Are they supposed to be there?

Members online

No members online now.