What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just got done wrestling with it for the day. I actually managed to get seven of the eight nuts off. Both backing plates are removed. Both replacement backing plates are modified and their cuts are painted so they hopefully don't rush quite so fast. If it weren't for the 8th nut deciding to round over immediately, I might have actually been able to finish it all tonight. Tomorrow I'll figure out how to get that nut off. I suspect the oxy acetylene torch is going to be a requirement. See if I can't nip the nut off and save the stud since the other seven are fine. I'll go get new nuts to put on when I do assembly.

Last edited:

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fyi, centric doesn't know how to drill a ******* hole apparently and thread it correctly. I wasted over 2 hours getting the rear brake line fitting installed.

Auto censor for the word "straight" ??
WTH is the world coming to??

That said, last weekend I installed a NIB (not reman) brake master cylinder on a friends Honda Odyssey that he bought at Oreillys (uhoh) and it failed 5 minutes into the test drive…the brake pedal started getting harder to apply and then all 4 corners started locking up.

Finally figured out that the plunger had ejected from MC body and was stuck in the hydroboost. :rolleyes:

Got him back home and had to spend another hour putting the OLD brake MC back on so he could drive home.

Got a Beck/Arnley MC coming from RA and will try again on Sunday.

Guess Im just confirming that buying parts ***** these days. :mad:

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that was amazing. Going out there this morning and just one more time decided to try to get that nut off. Apparently sitting overnight with PB blaster on it got it just loose enough that I was able to remove it.

profdlp

Fired
Reaction score
...new fluids all around..
The original water pump failed the following summer...
You got the right coolant when you did the anti-freeze, right? I did the fluid change on my Jeep when I first got it back in 2013. Used non-HOAT because the guy at the shop said it didn't matter. Ended up doing my water pump six months later.

Reaction score
Went to change one of the rear indicator bulbs. Naturally it went out day after I had the car serviced... I would never have dared to pull that light loose hadn't I found the info on this forum! Well, turned out my replacement bulb was a wrong one but luckily the original one wasn't broken, just a bad contact. So now I'm happily blinking away again!

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else will ever need this, but I was this days old when I discovered something really important and useful for doing the parking brake shoes on this jeep. I've always put painters tape on the friction surface, just to protect it from getting contaminated during installation. But something else just dawned on me.

You must be registered for see images attach

I can use the same tape to hold the shoes onto the backing plate while I get those ridiculously difficult retaining pins installed. I've tried all kinds of other techniques in the past, including clamps, swearing, voodoo rituals, virgin satanic sacrifices, you name it.

RonT

Reaction score
Got rid of some plastic on the front end, as I got tired of tires scraping the plastic (and can't afford a better front lift kit). I like the looks better anyway. Never as simple as just that, though... once I removed plastic bumper cover, I had to re-locate horn from under driver-side bumper to space in front of battery, and replace/relocate washer fluid reservoir from under passenger side bumper to open space behind air filter box. Also replaced headlamps with LED headlights (definitely a "make-it-work" sort of project!), and mounted 14-inch LED light bar to front bumper (in existing holes). I still plan to cut away some of the metal at both ends of the bumper, to get all sharp metal out of the way of my tires.

By the way; does anyone know what the "bumps" on the bumper are for (one on each side of the LED bar)? I started to take them off, but then realized they were spring loaded somehow, so decided to leave them alone. Just wondering!

Attachments

• 20241013_155951.jpg
    20241013_155951.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20241014_085406.jpg
    20241014_085406.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 10
  • 20241014_085340.jpg
    20241014_085340.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20241014_085327.jpg
    20241014_085327.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20241014_085425.jpg
    20241014_085425.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 10

lfhoward

Wheel. Repair. Repeat.
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been whipping my new second vehicle into shape, a 2007 Jeep Commander 4.7L QT2 with 155,000 miles on it. It needed some work and I have been chipping away at that, which is why I haven’t been around here quite as often the last few weeks. I still have my 08 Liberty and it’s not going anywhere. We are now a 2 Jeep family.

profdlp

Fired
Reaction score
When I got my Liberty back in 2013 I used to see Commanders on the road around here all the time. I saw one about three weeks ago and I think it was the first one I had seen in at least five years. I still see plenty of Liberty's. I always liked the Commander and wished I had one myself.

PKKJ

Reaction score
Got rid of some plastic on the front end, as I got tired of tires scraping the plastic (and can't afford a better front lift kit). I like the looks better anyway. Never as simple as just that, though... once I removed plastic bumper cover, I had to re-locate horn from under driver-side bumper to space in front of battery, and replace/relocate washer fluid reservoir from under passenger side bumper to open space behind air filter box. Also replaced headlamps with LED headlights (definitely a "make-it-work" sort of project!), and mounted 14-inch LED light bar to front bumper (in existing holes). I still plan to cut away some of the metal at both ends of the bumper, to get all sharp metal out of the way of my tires.

By the way; does anyone know what the "bumps" on the bumper are for (one on each side of the LED bar)? I started to take them off, but then realized they were spring loaded somehow, so decided to leave them alone. Just wondering!
Those "bumps" are crush/spacers that can come off. I installed an ARB front bumper and you actually remove those and behind them is an open channel. Part of the new bumper mount fits inside of the channel that's behind those and bolts to the channel.

Reactions: klc

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm off to look at a 2.2 CRD Compass Limited 4x4 tomorrow, anyone have any thoughts on them?