Squeaking noise at 600 to 700 rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rfanslau

Reaction score
Hello I have a squeaking noise sounds like the sepertine belt but I changed all the idler pullies, belt tentioner, viscous heater delete kit, and a new sepertine belt the noise only does it at 600 rpm if you raise the rpm to 700 it stops it's driving me up a wall. Could the clutch fan make a squeaking noise like this

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a CRD? If so have you checked / replaced the cam belt, water pump and idlers?

rfanslau

Reaction score
It's a crd and no I haven't touched the timing belt, water pump, or those idlers. Does it sound like something in side the timing belt. Should there be more signs besides a little squeaking

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a crd and no I haven't touched the timing belt, water pump, or those idlers. Does it sound like something in side the timing belt. Should there be more signs besides a little squeaking
No, you don't want any other signs they are expensive! I wouldn't drive it without checking it out, has the belt been done recently?

CHIPPER146

Reaction score
Don't discount you might have gotten a bad replacement idler. It happened to me. I picked one up at Advance auto and it also squeaked. I returned it for another one and it's been quiet for two years.

rfanslau

Reaction score
The only thing I haven't changed is the clutch fan I can figure if it's right or left hand thread

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head I can't remember, I'll have a look at mine in the morning.

rfanslau

Reaction score
Well with the sepertine belt off the squeaking went away. So new idlers, tentioner, viscous heater delete kit, and sepertine belt, I think I am going to try the clutch fan next. But can not figure right or left thread it's tight

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spin the alternator, the clutch pully is known to squeak. And I would seriously recommend doing the full cam belt change if it's due on miles or time.

Last edited:

rfanslau

Reaction score
It should spin freely backwards I was told but will still work and charge. That too was on my replacement list

rfanslau

Reaction score
My plans also are the timing belt and water pump but I first need the get this clutch fan off. It's tight and I dont know if it's left or right hand threads I may be fighting it instead of removing it.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My plans also are the timing belt and water pump but I first need the get this clutch fan off. It's tight and I dont know if it's left or right hand threads I may be fighting it instead of removing it.
I'll pop out and look at mine, I'd forgotten I was going to do it!

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a conventional thread, the fan is a nut, the shaft is threaded. I used a bit of pipe with pin jammed into one of the holes on the hub to hold it still and a large spanner on the nut, it took some persuasion to get it off, in the end I used freezer spray on the nut and hit the spanner with a copper mallet.
Standing in front of the engine you need to rotate the nut (fan assembly) to the left.
It's a chore so I'd do it as part of the cam service if it was my car. If you are in Europe (maybe thd US too?? I see its made in Canada) the SKF have an eBay shop selling the full cam kit, I have one on the shelf to do on mine in the spring.
You must be registered for see images attach