Yet another Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck!! It sounds like you have a great donor motor for the transplant.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update if anyone is interested:

Found a donor car finally with 120.000 km in a pretty good condition. Used as a grocery getter since 2003.

We will be swapping the engines next week. Fingers crossed the jeep would be up and running by the end of June.

Since we will be having the engine on the bench, any recommendations of preventative maintenance in difficult to reach areas? Thinking of replacing the oil pan gaskets since it's a pain in the @@@ to remove once the engine is on.

Wish me luck :)
Not a petrol driver so I can't add a lot other than a reminder to use HOAT coolant.

ikuo78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update if anyone is interested:

Found a donor car finally with 120.000 km in a pretty good condition. Used as a grocery getter since 2003.

We will be swapping the engines next week. Fingers crossed the jeep would be up and running by the end of June.

Since we will be having the engine on the bench, any recommendations of preventative maintenance in difficult to reach areas? Thinking of replacing the oil pan gaskets since it's a pain in the @@@ to remove once the engine is on.

Wish me luck :)
Also the valve cover gasket.
The harness is in the way and the screws are far away.
And oil tends to leak.

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Luck! Check everything in the engine before putting it in, and perform all necessary service to it. I know it would cost more this way, but it is good to know that you will not have any issues after 20.000km...

elafilos

Reaction score
Quick and sad update. Donor decided to keep the car and the engine so he pulled off the deal the minute I was arranging the tow truck.

Took some hard decisions. Pulling engine out tomorrow and we'll see how it goes.

Get's harder and harder to justify keeping my KJ cost-wise, but I love this car.

It would have been wiser to just get another KJ and swap some of my parts on it, but the problem is that I love MY KJ, since it's tied to so many memories. Every scratch and bump reminds me of a story and can't get over it. I am pretty sure most of you understand what I am talking about..

elafilos

Reaction score
And another update.

The moment we pulled the engine out of my KJ just got a call from a company dealing second hand jeep parts saying the found an engine from a car. It's from a 133.000km 2003 KJ which got bad roof rust, since it was used in a coastal area.

Price was a bit over budget, but decided to pull the trigger and pray. The engine arrives tomorrow evening.

Let's hope I am going to have a car by the end of the week. :)

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And another update.

The moment we pulled the engine out of my KJ just got a call from a company dealing second hand jeep parts saying the found an engine from a car. It's from a 133.000km 2003 KJ which got bad roof rust, since it was used in a coastal area.

Price was a bit over budget, but decided to pull the trigger and pray. The engine arrives tomorrow evening.

Let's hope I am going to have a car by the end of the week. :)
Fingers crossed

elafilos

Reaction score
Engine finally arrived. Quite expensive, but at least it's a low mileage (given it's age) and stock engine. No LPG conversions etc so it should be fine.

There is some surface rust given the fact that it was used in a coastal area of Crete, however nothing major that some good scrub and paint can't fix.

Nothing seems to be leaking, and all gaskets seem to be stock and solid.

I have ordered the following parts brand new from MOPAR:

1. Oil Filter
2. Air Filter
3. Coil Packs
4. Water Pump
5. Acc Belt
6. 8 engine seals (don't know the exact terminology, however these are the metallic seals meant to explode before the block does).
7. 2 Header seals (the exact same thing, but smaller).
8. Thermostat
9. OEM plugs

Also bought some steering rack bushings, since mine are shot - and some sway bar bushings.

Any ideas/suggestions what else to replace since the engine is currently on the bench?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-07-02 at 14.05.28 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-02 at 14.05.28 (1).jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 3
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-07-02 at 14.05.28.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-02 at 14.05.28.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 3

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 - core plugs I guess?

Can't suggest anything else, I've never seen a V6! Sounds like you have got most of the stuff covered though. Good luck.