Blackstone report

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike

Reaction score
'07 Liberty Sport, +/- 72,000 miles. Changed the oil 5-27-24, 71,665 miles. Pevious oil change was 12-3-22, 69,615 miles. Sent a sample to Blackstone. Got the report from them Tuesday (6-25, attached). All in all I think it's a good report, based on their comments. There are three items that are slightly above the "universal averages"; molybdenum, silicon, and magnesium. Can anyone tell me what these three are a sign of? Anybody see anything I should be concerned about? Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• blackstone report.pdf
    17.3 KB · Views: 14

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Moly is just part of the oils additive package, I wouldn't worry about it. Not sure about the magnesium.

On the silicon, that can be a crappy air filter or an air filter thats not sealed well. I had a very high silicon content on one of my ZJ's and they said to check the filter. While it was a K&N, so not the best filtration, the edge was also torn and allowing unfiltered air in.

You can email them back and they will reply, Ive done it before.

mike

Reaction score
I believe Moly is just part of the oils additive package, I wouldn't worry about it. Not sure about the magnesium.

On the silicon, that can be a crappy air filter or an air filter thats not sealed well. I had a very high silicon content on one of my ZJ's and they said to check the filter. While it was a K&N, so not the best filtration, the edge was also torn and allowing unfiltered air in.

You can email them back and they will reply, Ive done it before.
Thanks JeepJeepster. I'll be sure to check the air filter. I kinda remember putting in a new one recently, mayhaps I didn't close things up right.

JibeHo22

Reaction score
The source of magnesium in your oil is the oil itself. It will vary from test to test if you use different motor oils.
If you plan to do routine oil testing on that engine, I would suggest using the same oil with every oil change.
Then you shouldn't see significant fluctuation of the numbers related to the oil itself. If you use different oils, the additives and detergents in the oil will vary, which will cause varying test result numbers associated with those components.

You can't make many conclusions from a single report. The value of these tests is to spot a significant variation from the TREND established by earlier oil tests on your engine. Personally, I wouldn't be concerned at all with your test results.

If you want deeper insight into your test results, see BobIsTheOilGuy.com

mike

Reaction score
Thanks JibeHo22. I kinda wondered how much of the results were the oil itself! I've already decided to have the oil analyzed with the next oil change. I agree, not much value in a single test. Of course, it'll depend on how much they charge for a test two years from now. The next oil change will probably be in 2 years, since we don't drive this thing much. I'll probably use the same brand/type oil, depending on cost/availability. I'll check out BobIsTheOilGuy.com. Thanks again

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what Blackstone are like but the lab we use at work ask what oil brand and grade we are using so they can check on the additives and then comment on deviation from that.

mike

Reaction score
I don't know what Blackstone are like but the lab we use at work ask what oil brand and grade we are using so they can check on the additives and then comment on deviation from that.
Thanks KJowner, which lab do y'all use at work? It might not matter, since I'm thinking that using the same lab for subsequent tests is kinda important. I don't have a form in front of me right now, but if I remember correct, Blackstone did ask what brand and grade of oil was sampled. Thanks again....