Fuel Tank Heat Shield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alden

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to source a fuel tank heat shield/tray for our 2011 Liberty. It seems to be unavailable from Jeep and I haven't had any luck with the junkyards (most don't bother even answering the request). It would be a shame to junk it as other than the rotted-out fuel tank shield, the vehicle is in great condition. If anyone here knows a source I'd really appreciate your response. Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

lfhoward

Wheel. Repair. Repeat.
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, LibertyTC remember's right! I had to replace a rotted out one a year or two ago. Let me see if I can dig up that thread.

Basically keep calling junk yards and try to talk to a person. In the process of taking in junked cars, they typically cut the shield off to be able to remove and drain the gas tank. They don't bother unbolting it. You have to catch a newly arrived KK before it undergoes that surgery! It is possible though if you are persistent.

The one I got had some dents from the forklift moving the KK around the yard, but I pounded them out and primed and repainted the skid. No worse for wear!

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not a complex shape, if you can't weld take it to a sheet metal shop, shouldn't cost much too get it fixed.

ebgasolinedream024

Reaction score
ASFIR 4x4 makes a skid plate for the gas tank that bolts over the existing fuel tank hanger (no need to remove the existing hanger). I've got one on my Liberty. Someone else on the forum reported the same issue with their fuel tank hanger (rotted out) and this was how they fixed it. ASFIR is great and the skid plate looks really nice once installed.

lfhoward

Wheel. Repair. Repeat.
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASFIR 4x4 makes a skid plate for the gas tank that bolts over the existing fuel tank hanger (no need to remove the existing hanger). I've got one on my Liberty. Someone else on the forum reported the same issue with their fuel tank hanger (rotted out) and this was how they fixed it. ASFIR is great and the skid plate looks really nice once installed.
Yup, that was me! ;)

I’m glad my thread helped someone! Yes, the ASFIR gas tank skid is the real deal. I like it a lot.

alden

Reaction score
I contacted ASFIR a few days ago. They told me it had to be incorporated with the existing hanger. Good to know it's not needed. I have an email out to see if the state inspector will accept it.