steering liquid cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

igport

Reaction score
Good afternoon, a question, does the fluid cooler that goes in the front, does the transfer or gearbox fluid go through there?

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2005 KJ CRD, the lowest section of the AC condenser is also the AT transmission cooler.

igport

Reaction score
On my 2005 KJ CRD, the lowest section of the AC condenser is also the AT transmission cooler.
I have a leak in the front of the 3.7L, and at the last oil change in the transfer, the mechanic told me that it was empty and I'm afraid that leak is the reason the transfer didn't have fluid, it's logical, right?

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone else is gonna have to chime in bout the 3.7 and the particular transmission and transfer case that your KJ uses.

That said, while the transmission likely uses a fluid cooler, I highly doubt that the transfer case has a cooler attached to it.

Furthermore, while it’s possible the oil leak you see is related to a TC leak, the “logical” course of action is to first compare the color and/or smell of the leaking oil to that which the TC uses and try to determine if they are the same lubricant or not.

Just my .02

Last edited:

ikuo78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2003 3.7 doesn't have a cooler connected to the transfer.

If it were to leak from the transfer, it would either drip directly below or run down the drive shaft.
The input and two output oil seals are the most suspect.

The troublesome thing is that the power steering, AT transmission, and transfer all use ATF.
The most likely suspect for the front leak is the power steering.

igport

Reaction score
My 2003 3.7 doesn't have a cooler connected to the transfer.

If it were to leak from the transfer, it would either drip directly below or run down the drive shaft.
The input and two output oil seals are the most suspect.

The troublesome thing is that the power steering, AT transmission, and transfer all use ATF.
The most likely suspect for the front leak is the power steering.
I attach a photo where the drop occurs.

Attachments

• CREMALLERA.jpg
    CREMALLERA.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 3

igport

Reaction score
Someone else is gonna have to chime in bout the 3.7 and the particular transmission and transfer case that your KJ uses.

That said, while the transmission likely uses a fluid cooler, I highly doubt that the transfer case has a cooler attached to it.

Furthermore, while it’s possible the oil leak you see is related to a TC leak, the “logical” course of action is to first compare the color and/or smell of the leaking oil to that which the TC uses and try to determine if they are the same lubricant or not.

Just my .02
What is TC? The liquid is pink, but the steering tank does not lower the level.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TC is short for transfer case which is what I though you were referring to when you said “transfer”.

Red/Pink fluid means it is ATF+4 which is what the AT, the TC and also the PS system use.

That said your drip is on the steering linkage housing and as others have pointed out, the PS system is the one most likely to leak.

NO idea why the TC was empty when the mechanic checked it.

igport

Reaction score
TC is short for transfer case which is what I though you were referring to when you said “transfer”.

Red/Pink fluid means it is ATF+4 which is what the AT, the TC and also the PS system use.

That said your drip is on the steering linkage housing and as others have pointed out, the PS system is the one most likely to leak.

NO idea why the TC was empty when the mechanic checked it.
What solution could be given, completely replacing the steering bar? Would it be enough with some Rislone type leak stop liquid

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing the steering linkage is a labor intensive job that is NOT really worth doing unless the linkage is also worn out and sloppy rather then just leaking a drop.

I suggest cleaning it completely off with a degreaser and try to find where the actual leak is rather then just where the drip is falling off. Those two places are likely NOT the same place at all, which means the leak might be more easily fixed once you find out what is ACTUALLY leaking.

Just my .02