What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake squeaks are generally metal to metal vibrations often caused by improper pad install or uneven pad wear.

Applying the brakes changes the applied pressure/tension on the moving parts, so the squeak goes away.

Time to look closely at pads and calipers and look for uneven pad wear

Just my .02

Last edited:

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dunno about a close look, a quick glance should be all it takes to see the problem. Might as well get the pads now, save having to remove at least one wheel twice.

If there IS uneven wear, you will still need to figure out what is causing it .. ie sticking caliper pins or pistons, rust or debris on the caliper frame or sliders, etc

And I may as well insert my FAVORITE brake job tip ... crack open up the bleed screw while you push in the old pads/pistons!!!

Letting the old fluid out at the bleed screw is a win/win since ...

1) it is MUCH easier to push the pads/pistons back into the caliper.

2) Prevents what is the dirtiest brake fluid in the system from going back into and further contaminating the brake fluid in the master cylinder.

Last edited:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sliders are usually the culprit for uneven wear and poor brake performance, make sure you use silicone grease not copper grease or anything hydrocarbon based because it makes the rubber swell and bind on the pins.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
semi-related...
friend came over today and he played chase car while I towed the unloaded trailer down the road, to see if he could discern if one specific wheel was causing the vibrations on the trailer. the answer was a resounding YES.
so now I gotta figure out what on that corner is causing it.
it's not the wheel or tire, as it does it with any wheel in that position, and I've used a completely different set of wheels and it still shakes.
he said he also saw the rear shackle and spring moving violently when it was shaking. I rebuilt all of that less than 1000 miles ago (trailer mileage).

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today my Jeep got a wind fairing / wind deflector to make my ATH Roof Rack a little more aerodynamic.

You must be registered for see images attach

It was a FB Marketplace find that I got locally. The thing is virtually brand new.

I had to be a little creative to mount it above the light tabs on the front of the rack, but hopefully it will stay in place. It currently is in a good position with the rubber feet resting on the roof like they should.

Really the perfect angle to match the front of the rack's 40 degree aesthetic.

There's probably no way of knowing whether this quiets the air going around the roof rack bars until I eventually get new tires! They are LOUD. :p

slowcrawlerZJ

Reaction score
Installing a wider wheel spacer/adapters. I’ve had 1inch wide spacer/adapters on it for years because I have 2016 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon wheels on it. Going to 1.5 inch wide. In order to get more threads on the lugs I decided to swap all the lug studs out. Front hubs I went with 2006 Jeep Wrangler lug studs. They are about 1/4 longer (no pics). Rears as you can see in the pics are 2017 Jeep Wrangler lug studs. They are about 1/4 longer as well. Now I will have full thread engagement on the spacers.

Attachments

• IMG_5670.jpeg
    IMG_5670.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 4

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installing a wider wheel spacer/adapters. I’ve had 1inch wide spacer/adapters on it for years because I have 2016 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon wheels on it. Going to 1.5 inch wide. In order to get more threads on the lugs I decided to swap all the lug studs out. Front hubs I went with 2006 Jeep Wrangler lug studs. They are about 1/4 longer (no pics). Rears as you can see in the pics are 2017 Jeep Wrangler lug studs. They are about 1/4 longer as well. Now I will have full thread engagement on the spacers.
Looks like you are lifted high enough so that you won't get any rubbing. 4.5" = NICE

slowcrawlerZJ

Reaction score
I got a little on the rear on the inner fender skirt sides when my tires were fully stuffed last trip wheeling in Colorado. So this will help as well.

LFX1

Reaction score
Today was a heat shield delete. It was 100% unattached and rattling around on top of the muffler. It would also contact the driveshaft intermittently and make a terrible noise.

Anyone ever have any problems after removing one of these?
Had this same thing happen that sound was crazy it was late a night on a dark road I thought my ****** was shredding inside or something expected to see it dripping when I stopped and slide under with phone light then I started laughing. LOL and pulled this sucker out.

LFX1

Reaction score
One other question. I have a brake that squeaks incessantly when I am not on it. When I hit the brakes, the squeaking goes away. I would expect the reverse to be true if the brakes are getting low. Anybody have any experience with this?
Could be dust for longest time when I first got mine I heard weird squeaking ended up being rear wheel brake backing plates, you can only replacement if you take axles out terrible design they should made this a split design I replaced them once after that as they rust off ill just remove them.

Remember rears will have disc brake shoes inside the disc brake drum for emergency brake those can squeak and be misleading as well. Best thing to do is pull all wheels off inspect, get some brake cleaner and spray it clean get any excess dust out. Some pads, will have that split line in the middle of the pads, this will collect dust and make noise over time as well.