What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfhoward

Wheel. Repair. Repeat.
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working on a cool project for the KK.

I built a trunk box with a tool drawer about 10 years ago, and it has some additional space behind the rear seats for a washer fluid bottle and some picnic blankets.

I am repurposing half the additional space behind the rear seats by building a custom lithium iron phosphate battery that will live back there. It will power my camping fridge and charge using solar panels on the roof rack. It will also run an inverter. Basically it’s a DIY solar generator that fits in my KK. At 74 amp hours I can power stuff even when the Jeep is off. I’ll post up some pics as I go.

Edit: I started a thread about this mod here: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/diy-lifepo4-battery-for-jeepy.80762/#post-811610

Last edited:

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
That is exactly why I never switch my air gun out of reverse…. Well that and the fear of messing up threads.
Ah, but I've got a cordless ratchet, to supplement my drill/1/4" drive wrench, which are ideal for assembly, especially where access is an issue, & they invariably stop about a turn short of tight.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, but I've got a cordless ratchet, to supplement my drill/1/4" drive wrench, which are ideal for assembly, especially where access is an issue, & they invariably stop about a turn short of tight.
What brand of ratchet? I’ve wondered if the cordless ones are worth the money.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I built a trunk box with a tool drawer about 10 years ago, and it has some additional space behind the rear seats for a washer fluid bottle and some picnic blankets.

I am repurposing half the additional space behind the rear seats by building a custom lithium iron phosphate battery that will live back there. It will power my camping fridge and charge using solar panels on the roof rack. It will also run an inverter. Basically it’s a DIY solar generator that fits in my KK. At 74 amp hours I can power stuff even when the Jeep is off. I’ll post up some pics as I go.
This sounds cool! Keep us posted.

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm in the process of planning out a portable 12 volt system for the Jeep - was thinking a 100ah battery and inverter built into a wooden box that will fit in behind the front pass seat. I have already installed a dc/dc charger with an Anderson plug under the back seat - just need to decide on a brand of battery. I was inspired by the battery box Brad from TrailRecon built in his JT.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure it's branded at all, it was pretty much the cheapest one I could find on Evilbay. So far it's exceeded expectations, convinced me they really are a useful bit of kit &, depending on how long it lasts, might be persuaded to buy a reputable make as a replacement, in due course.

fwiw - "Li-ion Expert" well that's what is wrote on the battery, there's nothing on the body, nor country of origin. Looks like all the others I've seen on various Youtube vids.

Last edited:
Reactions: klc

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dragged a trailer full of garden rubbish to the dump and discovered a diesel leak, looks like a leaking injector.
Fixed it, it was a slightly loose injector line, replaced both the idler pullys and cleaned the MAP, a years running since I deleted the EGR and apart from a bit of oil it was clean.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife's Jeep not mine, putting a fresh set of rear pads on and I found the inside edge of the tyres is looking lovely! The outside looks OK???
You must be registered for see images attach

Surprise surprise....
You must be registered for see images attach

Going in on Monday for a set of Yokohamas, don't fancy the family doing 70+ Mph on that!

AngriezJeep

O noes! Jeep haz major ANGRIEZ!!1
Reaction score
I put gas in it, and discovered my fuel gauge does not work right. I thought I was running out, and I went to fill up and it only let me put in 4 gallons. It won't go above half a tank

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put gas in it, and discovered my fuel gauge does not work right. I thought I was running out, and I went to fill up and it only let me put in 4 gallons. It won't go above half a tank
Mine just says empty until I get to about 2/3 of a tank, then it’s full, but sometimes it blinks to empty, then back to full, then 3/4, 1/2, and when the gas light actually comes on, you have about 30 seconds to plan your landing.

In other words, I just use the trip odometer. 300ish miles per tank in summer, 250 in the winter (I end up having plenty of gas left at fill ups, but I hate running out of gas).

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, it started after standing for a week, no hesitation, nothing to suggest there'd ever been a problem - yet it's taken 2 months to get back to this stage.

No loose bolts on right front brake assembly - but glad I checked.

While parked up for the last week the left front window slid down into the door, despite being secured (as I thought) with gaffer tape. In my attempts to retrieve it, there was a loud bang - & a 1,000 "Hackney diamonds" clattered into the bottom of the door.

No idea what's involved in replacing a broken door glass (although I've had one done before, after a break-in years ago) so hoping if I provide a new regulator, replacing it won't be much extra work for the glass fitter - so the excess to the insurance company will be well spent.

lfhoward

Wheel. Repair. Repeat.
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today nothing on mine, new tyres on the wife's Renegade and I'm tidying the embarrassing dump I call a workshop.
Every once in a while my workshop reaches a stage where the level of chaos crosses an invisible line, and the space must be tidied before anything else can happen! I try to keep it reasonable and put tools back where they go on a regular basis, but the tornado of cleaning has to happen periodically for life to go on. ;) It is getting close to the tipping point.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a label maker, everyone!!! :p

I wanted to respond both with a laugh and a heart emoji to seafish’s comment.

Right back at ya !!!!

Though in the chaotic aftermath of being a Dad of two kids, my motto has become "A little bit of OCD can go a long ways" !!!

That said, Ive probably still got an old chrome Dymo embossing labeler packed away somewhere :cool:

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered a used window regulator - £20 including shipping, so wasn't going to miss the chance. (although I'd take that for a complete door off my parts XJ). When I can get it fitted is another matter, probably Bank Holiday weekend (the last in the month) now, as that gives me a bit more flexibility.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered a used window regulator - £20 including shipping, so wasn't going to miss the chance. (although I'd take that for a complete door off my parts XJ). When I can get it fitted is another matter, probably Bank Holiday weekend (the last in the month) now, as that gives me a bit more flexibility.
Ahhh! You have doomed us the rains will return as soon as you park up with the window open! ;-)