What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try searching for "transfer case" instead of "transfer box" ;)

Also when you determine exactly which TC you have on your KJ (there will be tag on it) , likely a NV241J or NV242, try searching for it on youtube...more then likely someone has done a rebuild on it and filmed it.

Of course, the question remains whether or not they actually did a decent job on the rebuild as well as a good job filming and explaining. :rolleyes:

You must be registered for see images attach
Land-rover = transfer box
Jeep. = transfer case

Americans and there terminology! ;-)

AngriezJeep

O noes! Jeep haz major ANGRIEZ!!1
Reaction score
Put a brand new set of tires on it friday. Pirelli Scorpio ATs (they were laying about the shop, boss said I could have them. They were pull offs from a vehicle. So they were new). Oh my GOD the difference in ride quality, handling and braking!

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
So, made a start on replacing the passenger window & regulator over the weekend.

Got the door card off with no issues, despite not being able to find the right tools, didn't break any clips although, oddly, one of the sockets ought to be replaced (don't suppose they're as readily available but, hopefully, XJ ones are the same).
Then the fun part began: clearing out all the glass from the bottom of the door. Oh for a suitable vacuum cleaner, but after far too long on my hands & knees, with gloves, an old 2" paint brush & yards & yards of gaffer tape the job was finally done - or so I thought.
Sunday, removed the regulator, not too bad a job but then, of course, I didn't have the window to have to cope with - which means, of course, I really have no idea how to fit the replacements. 1st though, remove all the glass that had fallen into the bottom of the door with the disassembling or I hadn't previously been able to see or find.
Also in the door bottom was the part that had become detached from the regulator in my struggle to remove it. It's the part the glass locates in & the groove is full of glass apparently bonded in place. Fortunately, the replacement glass has its own, although incomplete (compared with the original) - & it's bent slightly; really hoping that doesn't matter, as not looking forward to straightening it without breaking the glass. So that's something to look forward to next weekend, then the task of getting it all into the door.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a while, hope everyone is doing well.
Replaced the driver side UCA and LBJ this weekend. Unfortunately, was not able to get to the easier passenger side.
Will have to earmark that for a different weekend.
Thankful for the power tools I have that made this job easier. I remember starting out with just tools.
Now I just need a right angle impact wrench.

Thankful for the holiday as firestone was not busy and able to get my alignment done.

Anyone have any solutions beside paying a shop to read the ABS code? autozone still comes up empty for any codes. my light is still on. TIA

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
A more expensive scanner might read the code. The Zone guys here use those small handheld ones which don’t really get into the ABS system.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
autozone recently added ABS code scanners a few years ago but it might be hit and miss with manufacturers and ABS codes.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Just 'cos the Zone's got the kit, doesn't mean they employ anyone that can use it.

My friendly neighbourhood mobile mechanic does it for me, costs £20 but it beats replacing each wheel sensor 'til the light goes out (& I've never known it be anything else)

LFX1

Reaction score
I think with a member of FBMP Group figured out my odd knocking might be, not a blown strut, I believe it's those differential mounts wore, so finding them is the challenge. found these, but does anyone recommend them from specific place. ?

Creative has them as replacement polyurethane, The other links have the Euro KJ they call

jack roykirk

Reaction score
0/5/2024 - Replaced my starter because the one I installed last year failed. At least it was under warranty. That didn't take the sting out of having to do it again. Replaced the starter relay.
0/6/24 - Removed the stuck disk out of my CD player. I may disassemble it today to see why a disk won't go in now today just for grins as I have some insight as to why.

KingKJ

The Rock Spotter
Reaction score
First Offroading since I crashed it(hence the missing bumper/grille)

LFX1

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

wow slowing production any one confirm this i cant find any other info.

Last edited:

joshcsmith13

Reaction score
Tried to stop the annoying rattle from under the hood on the drivers side of my 2002. It sounds like thin metal or plastic slapping or knocking into each other. At first, I was afraid that it was a valve clatter, but then I realized it wasn't directly related to the engine RPMs, but rather more in line with vibrations of the road.
I tried sticking some folded cardboard between the likely suspects in the engine bay, but it doesn't seem to have helped. I'm open to suggestions!

ikuo78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got sick of fighting the spare tire after six years…

I use a gel puncture repair kit like the cars sold these days.
I've never used it, so I'm a little unsure.
So I pay about $25 a year for towing service, which is free up to 20km.