What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In past couple days, finally put on my second of my 5 door replacement project, got the cleanest ones I could find, my brother has been hooking me up stripping them down, sand blasting cut out replaced any metal and put them in satin black for now. By time all four are done will just be the area above rear wheel and front fender and hood to match if I want. Nice to have my window function back. Odd thing mine is 07 doors came off 04 I think. the wiring was different for the front speaker possibly due to the speaker being high end, rear wiring was same but colored differently we swapped wire harnesses and everything plugged in and worked. Tail gate is done but not on currently working on drivers rear. Once these are all done, I had to get one patch panel for the driver side rear front wheel arch, then were gonna look at how to weld up rockers, been looking for steel as going the original replacement ones may be to costly and will just rot out, seen couple people do the rocker cut off and weld up, so leaning that route with some 2x6 box tubing possibly. Summer days are numbered so trying to get projects done up. Also on door bottoms been using bed liner on the bottom and up the inside lip and sealing it up good. May do like a 2-3 inches on the front not sure yet. Once all are done I will do the fluid film as well to the whole thing.
If you shoot cavity wax into the sills once they are done you shouldn't have a problem with corrosion, not sure if you can get them in the US but on Ebay here there are galvanised outers, horrible to weld but once they are on and waxed shouldn't be a problem for a long time.

LFX1

Reaction score
If you shoot cavity wax into the sills once they are done you shouldn't have a problem with corrosion, not sure if you can get them in the US but on Ebay here there are galvanised outers, horrible to weld but once they are on and waxed shouldn't be a problem for a long time.
Yeah thats the plan.

Erskine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today the pulley wheel on my aircon (2.8 CRD) started being very squeaky. If I squirt oil into the top of it, it quietens. I assume there is a bearing in the clutch thingy on the front. Can it be changed. What's the received wisdom please?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today the pulley wheel on my aircon (2.8 CRD) started being very squeaky. If I squirt oil into the top of it, it quietens. I assume there is a bearing in the clutch thingy on the front. Can it be changed. What's the received wisdom please?
I believe you can split it and change the bearing, it's similar to the viscous heater (mine sounds awful, should be doing it next week) no idea what bearing is in it.
Also available as a full assembly for a Denso compressor it seems.
You must be registered for see images attach

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the whole pulley/clutch gets changed, I believe.

Erskine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the whole pulley/clutch gets changed, I believe.
Thank you. The clutch assembly seized last night and shredded/threw the serpentine. Managed to get it home with no power steering and dim lights. Ordered clutch assembly and belt immediately. Going to limp it down to the garage this morning so it's there ready as soon as the parts arrive.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vacuumed it out last night. I need to have the interior detailed to get the seat stains and dog hair out.

I also hooked up the trailer last night, as we’re going to visit my Grandma today, and we’re bringing back my grandpa’s pellet grill. He passed away at the start of June, and despite everyone telling my grandma the PG is really easy to use, she wants to stick with the gas grill.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Last weekend when the bolt arrive I meant to undo the temporary fix for the wandering caliper on the left front but there wasn't time - so that was this morning's job. First thing I noticed was the top 12mm bolt attaching the caliper to the bracket was only finger tight, then the temporary bolt securing the bottom of bracket would only move about 1/2 a turn. Won't bore you with what the problem was - but without a rattle-gun I don't know how I'd have got it out.
There were strange wear patterns on both pads, presumably from them being able to move relative to the disc/rotor - and the caliper.

The only other think is that one of the little clips the pads locate in has disappeared. Will just have to live with that, 'cos I'm pretty sure you can't get replacements. Anyway, put it all back together & everything seems OK.

Now I'm wondering if I just whizzed the bolts in with cordless ratchet & forgot to nip them all up by hand. Wetter check the other side next weekend.

The other thing I did was to put the old battery back in, fresh from it's umpteenth overnight charge, & lo & behold it started, as if there'd never been a problem. Moment of truth will be next weekend, when it's been standing for a week, but I'm optimistic.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last weekend when the bolt arrive I meant to undo the temporary fix for the wandering caliper on the left front but there wasn't time - so that was this morning's job. First thing I noticed was the top 12mm bolt attaching the caliper to the bracket was only finger tight, then the temporary bolt securing the bottom of bracket would only move about 1/2 a turn. Won't bore you with what the problem was - but without a rattle-gun I don't know how I'd have got it out.
There were strange wear patterns on both pads, presumably from them being able to move relative to the disc/rotor - and the caliper.

The only other think is that one of the little clips the pads locate in has disappeared. Will just have to live with that, 'cos I'm pretty sure you can't get replacements. Anyway, put it all back together & everything seems OK.

Now I'm wondering if I just whizzed the bolts in with cordless ratchet & forgot to nip them all up by hand. Wetter check the other side next weekend.

The other thing I did was to put the old battery back in, fresh from it's umpteenth overnight charge, & lo & behold it started, as if there'd never been a problem. Moment of truth will be next weekend, when it's been standing for a week, but I'm optimistic.
The bits are all available, along with pistons, slides and seals. I always put a drop of loctite on the caliper bolts when I do the pads.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
So I discovered, when I bothered to look, but not that cheap - & from an unlikely source, so thanks for the lead.

I think that's probably best practice, but not something I've ever done. Prepared to accept this was me not being as careful as I usually am: power tool induced carelessness I suspect.

ikuo78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went on a two-day trip to a beach 200km away.
Recently in Japan, we often see FJs and Land Cruisers repainted in clay colors.

There are only 4 days left until summer vacation, but about half of my schedule is empty, so if I'm not too drunk I should be able to replace the struts.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the FJ's unfortunately they weren't released here, so only gray imports about and they are extremely expensive!